Monday, February 1, 2010

Techies do it in the dark

Day 27

I am not a technical theatre person. I have come to realize that while being here at Tech. I wish I was a lot better at that side of the theatre world. I just never had that official training in high school. I was the actor. There was a big split down the middle between actors and technicians. They usually never crossed over. The closest I ever got to that side was basically making myself the props manager during UIL. Even my first year in college was like that. It wasn't until I got to Tech that I realized how little I knew about the technical world. It's so bizarre to me. Well, maybe not bizarre, but just uncharted territory.

I'm thankful for the practicums and principles classes they make us take, because otherwise I would never have the chance to learn about it. I know that I'm probably one of few who will say that they appreciate practicums. They are a pain in the ass and they take so much time out of your schedule, but I like it. It's gotten to the point where I won't volunteer for run-crews anymore. I don't want to learn how to sit in a greenroom and move a set piece once or do someone's hair. That's not going to help me learn. What will help me is getting to build a flat, or hang and focus a light in the lab. This is where I truly learn. And I appreciate that.

It's frustrating because I wish I could learn more. Or, better yet, I wish I could retain all the information that I'm getting. It's like using a different part of your brain that you don't really use that often. I get acting...in the general sense. Technical theatre, not so much. But I've gotten a lot better than I used to be. And I'm proud of that. I just yearn for more knowledge. Which really isn't anyone's fault but my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment