Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 46

Well, first rehearsal of the show is over with, and I still feel good. We got an updated version of the script and got the chance to read through it. I didn't realize how layered the show was. I read the semi-first version of it, and I guess I just focused on the comedy so much. There are some really great dramatic moments stuck in there too. This excites me a lot because I love getting the chance to work in a tragicomedy. At Tech I think (and partially know) that I'm pigeon-holed as a comedic actress. All the roles I've had or been considered for at Tech have been comedic. I haven't gotten the chance to do a dramatic role. That's why I love doing shows off campus because they don't know me as well, so they are more likely to give me a shot at a drama. I can do both, I promise you! But this show gives me the chance to do both, and I'm super excited about that! Maybe it'll show some people that I am capable of doing both.

On another note, let me just say how much I despise read-throughs. Not because of the actual act of reading through a script, because I think it's necessary for a cast together and actually hear the script read for the first time by the cast. I just don't like myself and read-throughs. I'm an avid believer that true acting doesn't happen until the script is out of your hands. Everything else is just laying a foundation for character and slowly building up to the point where you can act. A script is like a security blanket that holds you back from reaching that next level. So, while I like to hear the script read for the first time, I feel utterly useless saying these words without action or movement to go along with it. I don't feel motivation to say the lines except just to read it out loud. And I worry sometimes that people judge me by my read throughs and wonder why I'm even there. I don't let it get to me, but I just assume that happens.

I'm just not good at read-throughs. It's something I need to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment