Monday, February 1, 2010

"Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit"- Napoleon Hill

Day 28

I read an interesting play. It's called Woyzeck by Georg Büchner. After reading it, I didn't know what to think. It seemed very episodic, which I've noticed I'm not a fan of. I like things to connect in some form or fashion. I guess it's the human nature in me that looks for a purpose for everything. I think I also went into reading it thinking it was going to be something completely different. I read it for a theatre history class, and we were talking about 19th century theatre. I guess I was thinking it was going to be more melodrama in the stereotypical sense. Boy was I wrong lol.

After going through those thoughts, I started to actually think about the play. It was very depressing in the sense that it depicts this working class guy trying to get by in the world. He works for a Captain doing side-jobs and does clinical trials (basically) for a Doctor. He eventually goes insane and murders his mistress, only after getting beat up by this guy the mistress was flirting with. And all I could think is geez, can't this guy catch a break? But I can relate to this play a lot actually. No, I don't have a baby daddy that I want to stab to death, but just the simple fact of being a middle-class joe that can't catch a break. Ever. That has been the story of my life for the past school year and in my life. I overcome and overcome shit that life throws my way, and just when it seems like I'm getting back on my feet, something new has to appear and knock me back down.

I like this play a lot. It's not a happy-ending sort of tale. It depicts a human life, in all its "glory". It's sad, yes, but so true in many ways. So many people can relate to this. I know it was a reflection of society during that time in Germany, but the same could be said about society today in America. I see him almost as a German Willy Loman. Just trying to get by. And I guess that's all we can do. Just get by.

No comments:

Post a Comment