Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 52

So, yesterday, in between rehearsals and performance for "24-Hour Play Festival", I got to perform at the Underwood Center Gala. It's a crazy random happenstance how that got to be, but, long story short, the guy who directed "Children of a Lesser God", which was a show I did in October, won this highly honored art award. The gala was celebrating him, another group who won the award, and the anniversary of the center. His wife asked me and the male lead in the show to perform little bits from the show as a surprise for him. It was a great honor to do it for him and a lot of up there artsy people in Lubbock.

But, it was so weird doing it. It's weird going back to a role that you've basically drained out of you. I haven't looked or thought about that part since we closed the show, so to go back to that character was quite an experience. When I was putting on the costume I wore during the run of the show, I thought "Wow....this is eerie!" And not only was going back to the role weird, but just remembering who I was then too. It's only been 4 months, but sooo much has changed for me, personally and professionally. I was a different person back then, even though it was just a short time ago. I could never capture the performance I gave for that show, because I could never recreate who I was at that moment. It was interesting to think about me then and now. I've changed, but so much for the better. You can't help but learn from all your experiences, and evolve from there.

I think this role is one of the few roles I would love to be able to play again. But not now. I would love to do it, like, 10 years from now. I'll be such a better actor then, and my portrayal would be so different. I think it'd be an interesting experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment