Monday, February 1, 2010

"Acting is not about being someone different. It's finding the similarity in what is apparently different, then finding myself in there."- Meryl Stree

Day 30

Again, the theatre geek inside me rages on. I found another slide show on the NY Times theatre site, this one about Laura Linney and some of her performances on the stage. There was one quote by the NYT critic about one of her performances that said

"A sorcerer named Laura Linney is performing an act of magic that happens only in live theater. She has rewritten a play without changing a word." — Ben Brantley.

Can you imagine any better critique as an actor? That makes me so jealous! Lol. I know I've talked to a few actor friends about classics vs. new works. I've had a really great opportunity with getting to work with a lot of new scripts. Probably more than a young actor like me should get to. But we were talking about how neat it is that you get to work with a new script with no preconceived notions in mind. You go in with a clean slate because it's never been done before. You can pretty much do whatever the hell you want. And I'll touch on this more at a later date, but you have that vs. doing a fairly well-known show. It's hard because sometimes you get a show like "Death of a Salesman" that has been done over and over again. You run into the problem as an actor of trying to make the part your own. I know for me when I read a script and analyze it and come up with ideas, I wonder if it's a me idea or if someone else already did that.

I know it;ll never be the same because every actor brings their own take on a character. and I personally believe that no matter what character, there is always a little bit of you in that character. You can't help it. Otherwise why would they cast you over random girl b? But I think it's a little bit more challenging to take a well-established character and make it your own. But when you get that chance and have someone note that it's a completely different take that's brilliant is always a plus. That quote inspires me a lot. It makes me want to work harder at a role. Or just as an actor in general. To strive to get a quote like that said about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment