Monday, January 25, 2010

“A work of art is above all an adventure of the mind” -Eugene Ionesco

Day 22

For my Principles of Acting II class we were supposed to find a picture or painting of a "character" as said by our professor. He didn't really go into what that entailed, so it was left up to us. I started looking at portraits of people online. I found a couple of normal ones; your typical happy baby or the engaged couple in the park. There really wasn't anything that stood out. Then I found it. I found this picture:



How beautifully tragic is that picture? When I first saw it, it literally broke my heart. A fellow actor saw it and saw confusion more than anything. But to me, I see this sadness that transcends what any words can portray. There are so many little details in this picture that can tell everything about this man. Every wrinkle on his face is so defined, like they aren't just ordinary wrinkles...they are so prominent because of all the struggles he has gone through. His mouth isn't in a frown or smile or anything recognizable. It's more of a given up look. His tie is also askew and messy like he didn't even try. And most importantly his eyes. His eyes give him away completely. There is so much sadness and heartache in his gaze. That's what breaks my heart.

I'm not sure what we are doing with these photos. I really like the picture that I chose, so hopefully I'll be able to do something with mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment