Sunday, January 24, 2010

So I crammed my life in a u-haul to find my part of it all

Day 21

The weekend of performances continues! I got to see a community theatre production of "Bus Stop". I was looking forward to it because it's one of those shows I've heard about a lot but never got the chance to see a performance of it. The script itself is interesting. There seems to be this niche of shows set in public places like bars, or diners, or buses that just show people and their interactions with each other within this environment. It's a make or break situation because if the characters aren't interesting or likable then there really is no reason to like them or even watch. I think "Bus Stop" achieved that pretty well. The end was weak. I think writing a good end for a play is the hardest part because a lot of times it just ends. It's hard to finish something.

The set they had for the space was fantastic. I did "Children of a Lesser God" in that space and we had a very minimal set. The stage is fairly small, so I was interested to see how they could build a diner on the stage. It looked great and they had so many little touches that most people probably wouldn't have noticed, but us theatre people did. They had an actual working clock that they used to set the time during the play. They kept up with the time span that occurred during the play as well. It was really neat and just a little touch that was greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment