Sunday, January 24, 2010

And the second before I jumped I knew wehre I needed to be!

Day 20

So the music department had a performance of "Songs for a New World" that a group of us went to see. I was super excited to see it because I saw a production of it at Nationals for the International Thespian Society the summer of my senior year. That production was interesting. They performed it in a huuuuuuuuge auditorium, which was probably the first mistake. This is probably one of the few low scale musicals that should be performed in a smaller venue, like the lab theatre. The original cast is only 4 people, and they had different people for each song. The set was like a ship, and it was neat, but the performers were awful. They really couldn't sing well as a general group. And our group was so over it by intermission, so we decided to leave.

That was then, and this production was very different. I enjoyed getting to see the entire show, and the venue they chose for it was a perfect size. There was one performer in particular who killed it. He did a great job and almost had me crying during one of his songs because it was so beautiful and passionate. I get so jealous when I see a performer like that, because it makes me wish I had a better singing voice. I'm confident in my acting skills, and I think I could do great in musicals, but my voice just isn't up to par. I can get away with character songs, but that's about it. I really would love to try to take voice lessons again, even if I'm never involved in another musical for the rest of my life. It's an ability that I need to improve on.

No comments:

Post a Comment