Wednesday, January 6, 2010

" Man was created as a being who should constantly keep improving, a being who on reaching one goal sets a higher one."- Ralph Ransom

Day 6

I'm up to 2 followers so far! Huzzah!

For a middle-sized West Texas town, Lubbock has a lot of opportunities for actors. Now mind you, there aren't nearly as much as I would like, but there are a good number of places that will give you a chance to work on your craft. I think that's one of the most important things with acting, the more you work the better you get. In the general sense. Personally, I found that I have improved tremendously since I was in my first play in 4th grade. I've had a lot of training now yes, with a lot of acting classes, but I say the great majority of the things I learn are from actually being in a show. And I love being able to observe other actors while you're working with them. I found that recently I've been doing that a lot. I've had the chance to work with some really fantastic actors, and sometimes all you can do is just sit back and watch the magic happen.

I find it very similar to teaching. I'm about to start my student teaching for Theatre education, and everyone tells me that the actual student teaching part of your education doesn't prepare you at all for the actual job. They give you some helpful hints, but you really have to sort of dive in yourself and discover how to teach on your own. I think the exact same way about acting. I think acting classes can help you, sometimes a lot, but you really can't absorb your head around it until you actually get the chance to create a role onstage. I always say how I hate to look back at my previous shows because I've grown a lot and I wish I could have known what I do now. There are very few of my performances that I actually liked, and most of them have been only recent ones.

I feel like I'm getting better, even if it's not reflected in the department. Hopefully I am at least, or else I feel like a jackass and wasting other people's time. I guess only time can tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment