Monday, January 11, 2010

I oughta be in the pictures!....or not

Day 10

I auditioned for my a movie teaser thingy yesterday, and it made me realize how much I hate acting for the camera. It's just not my cup of tea. For me, it feels like I have to take my acting and squeeze it into this tiny box that I can't move outside of. And that's exactly how I feel when I act in front of a camera. I feel so claustrophobic because I can't move outside of the shot. And then there's the fact that I feel like you can't be spontaneous with your acting. It's all about consistency.

I think I don't like it as much because my favorite style of acting is big, over-the-top character acting; and while this can be seen on camera, if done wrong it can turn into really bad and campy acting. There's a very fine line.

I don't know. I'm not going to pretend like I know a lot about acting for the camera. I don't. I haven't done it like at all except for auditions. I just know at this point I don't like it. But, I'm not going to count it out completely. It's just a new area of acting that I'm not used to. I guess it would be like me attempting to do a Kabuki style show without any knowledge of what it is. I'm going to get a lot of practice at it this year, however. I'll get to do a webseries, so hopefully that will help me get better and maybe gain a better understand of this type of acting.

No comments:

Post a Comment