Sunday, January 3, 2010

We'll never get to heaven til we reach that day

Day 3

Another musical post again, but this is because I was listening to musicals non-stop on the way home for 2 hours. I like a lot of musicals. Some people say I'm like a walking dictionary of musicals, which is not true but I know quite a bit. And I have to say that my favorite musical would have to be "Ragtime". It's not as big and flashy as other musicals, it's just the music is absolutely beautiful and the lyrics are amazing.

I'm not going to go all analytical about it. You can wikipedia that shit if you want to know what it's about. This is about its Act 1 Finale. I have this weird fixation on Act 1 Finales. I don't know where it comes from, but I'm kinda obsessed. Anyways, I truly believe that Ragtime has one of the best, if not the best, Act 1 finale. I might be partial to it because I was actually in the show, but I still think it's one of the best.

No, it doesn't have the main character ascending 20ft above the stage singing a high E, there's something more. I can't explain it really, but the song is absolutely beautiful and every character is onstage with their own personal strife and emotions. I remember being a freshman in high school doing this show at the theatre in town, and at the time I didn't realize how great it was. The one thing I do remember is singing the song and getting emotional from just singing it. I wasn't even experienced or in control of my emotions and it stilled pulled that from it. It's just fantastic all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment