Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 70

So, I had to read "Mother Courage and her Children" for my theatre history class. Crazy, right? For those who haven't read my blog, I wrote an entry about watching a documentary about Bretch and a production of this with Meryl Streep. So, needless to say, I was super excited about reading the play. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's very stylized, so it was sort of hard to connect to. I think it helped that I saw the documentary, because I could see some of the scenes from the documentary as I was reading. It's hard to imagine Mother Courage differently than how Meryl Streep played it. I see her as so rough and tough, and I get the feeling that the original Mother Courage was a little softer.

I would really love to be in this show. I'm interested how Bretch directed his actors to act in the original production. It's not really realism, but it's not all presentational either. I guess it's in between? I would love to learn a different style of acting through being in this show. I also have added another role to my wish list. I want to play Mother Courage. I know it'll be years and years before I ever get the chance to, but I hope I do. It would be a fantastic part :)

No comments:

Post a Comment