Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 66

I forgot to tell about my other epic win in musical stage dance last week!

So, as I talked about before, we had our mock dance audition to a West Side Story song, and I did fairly well. On Thursday we had a mock singing auditioning. We could use a song they picked out or bring our own. I wanted to try and find another song to use, but last week was crazy so I didn't have enough time to look. I used "Learn Your Lessons Well" from Godspell. I was a little nervous because, while I love Godspell, I only knew the songs on the movie soundtrack. This song was in the Broadway show but cut out of the movie. So I learned it pretty quickly. It wasn't anything impossible, not really a singer's song, but that's fine with me. While I can carry a tune, I'm not a quote, unquote singer.

So we get there and have to wait in the hall while we go in one-by-one like a normal audition. I went in and sang my song. I forgot the words at one part, but got over it pretty quick. It wasn't my best, but I wasn't too worried about it. Then they brought us all back in and picked out a few people to sing their songs for the class. Surprisingly, I was one of the people who got called to perform. I was shocked. I didn't do all that well and I'm not a singer. So I went up and performed, thankfully a lot better than I did before. Then our instructor and singing assistant talked about why they called me back.

One of the things that the assistant said was that while I am not the best singer, this song showed off the good parts of my voice and gave me a chance to act. I know the assistant personally, and we've talked about how I'm not a singer at all. But one thing he said about me, and I took it as a great compliment, was that I know what songs to sing and what characters I will play. I'm never going to be the young ingenue/romantic lead in a musical. EVER. So it would be foolish of me to pick a song that was in that style. I know what roles I can play, and I'm pretty good at picking songs that show that off. I think a lot of people still have that problem. Because they don't have a lot of experience, they don't know what roles they are being looked at and what roles are out of their range. Now, by no means am I encouraging this type of pigeon-holing, but let's face it, we have to realize what are strengths and weaknesses are. Sadly, I've learned the hard way, but once you realize it, it becomes a lot easier to deal with audtions, because no matter how hard I try, I will never be Cinderella, or Millie, or Christine.

But by God I will be Miss Hanigan! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment