Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Day 64

It's a sad day today for me. It's the last event of The Limelight Theatre before they shut down. Limelight has a special place in my heart because of so many things.

First off, it was an amazing place artistically. I could go there and pretty much do anything I wanted to, within the life of the play of course. There was no censoring myself or worrying about what the audience would think. I had complete creative freedom, which is something you don't normally get. I had the chance to be in an amazing show where I could be and do anything. I got to sword fight with didlos, be in an orgy with guys and girls alike, strip down to my skivvies onstage, and rape a guy on a coffin. Where else would I get the chance to do all that in one show??? I got to work with a brilliant playwright and amazing director who would call me out on my shit and make me work for the role. I couldn't get by with my bag of tricks. I had to work hard and develop a character to the very core. There were other shows as well that were super fun to be in. I was looking forward to continuing on with the theatre until I graduated, but sadly it will be no more.

Secondly, Limelight has been a personal savior in my life. Thank god, it was there at the right time, when I went through hell and depression. I almost drowned. It brought me back to the surface, (and sorry to get all metaphorical and mushy here) but it truly was almost like a baptism. I came back to the surface a different person. Through meeting new people and hanging out with them, I changed so much over the course of 3 months. Limelight and the people involved with it helped with all that. I don't regret anything I've done because I've learned, so much, from it all.

The Limelight Theatre, even with all the bullshit dealing with its demise, will still be one of the best memories in my mind. I love that theatre so much and all that it's done for me. Thank you Limelight Theatre. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment