Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 67

I miss the modular theatre at ASU. I started thinking about it today, and how awesomely cool that space was. It was the main theatre at the college I went to my freshman year. It's basically a giant room made up entirely of black boxes. The walls are boxes, the floor is boxes, just 4'by4' boxes. And you can arrange it however you want. You want a normal stage on one side, audience on the other? They can do it. You want to create theatre in the round and put the stage in the middle with the audience surrounding? They can do it. You want to create 4 different stages in the corners with the audience situated accordingly? They can do it. It's one of the most versatile spaces you can have, and it allows for so much creativity for a scenic designer.

I wish we could have different scene designs here. I know that we are limited with the spaces we have, but I wish we could do a show and change up everything that is in typical theatre. Like, put the audience onstage and the actors in the audience. I don't know how or with what show, but I'm getting a little tired of the typical theatre setting. I love it when things are different or odd because it wakes you up as a theatre goer. You become more aware of....everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment