Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day 61

Today was probably one of the most painful days I've had in a while. And also kinda awesome :)

I'm taking a musical stage dance class for my dance credit. And, going in, I don't think I realized how difficult it would be. We're learning the actually choreography to Broadway shows...which is awesome, but also really difficult for a level 1 class. We did a mock dance audition today in which she taught us a bit of the choreography to a West Side Story dance, and we learned the rest today. Then we had to get numbers and pretend like we were auditioning for her.

Now, let me add that I'm not a dancer in the least bit. I haven't taken legit classes. I can move pretty well, and I've done simple dances for musicals before. So this was a huge stretch for me. So we all go through the dance in small groups twice, and they did a callback. I actually got chosen for the callback. I'm not gonna lie, I was shocked as hell. I thought I did ok, but it's hard to tell when you're moving and have no idea what's going on. But I did make sure that I at least tried to embody a character and be "tough". So we had to dance again, and then they had another callback. I didn't make that one, but I wasn't disappointed. The fact that I actually made the first cut, without being a dancing person made me feel really good.

And some points from this that really hit home...I realized that enthusiasm and a willingness to make a fool of yourself can makeup for lack of dancing skills. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's true. I know I wasn't the best dancer, but I made sure I had a character and went balls to the wall, even if I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I made sure I was the loudest with vocals and tried to be the biggest in movement. I know there were people probably looking at me weird or making fun of me, but at this point I don't care. I lost my pride and dignity in theatre a long time ago...

I won't go into this, but I think you have to leave your dignity at the door and just make a complete ass of yourself. Make stupid decisions! Be big! Just be stupid!

Anyways, now I'm feeling the pain. My knees are blue and I can't walk without a little limp. The pain of dancing I guess. But I feel good about it. I think I'm improving a lot, and I hope we get more opportunities like this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment