Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 86

Last LUTAF one-acts update!

Finally: Missionary in the Dark!

I had the great privilege of acting in a lot of the one-acts we performed that weekend. But, what originally got me involved in the whole thing was being asked to direct one of the shows, which was a farce called "Missionary in the Dark." I heard farce and was automatically drawn in. I love directing scenes/shows that I would love to be in, and I adore farces, so before I even read the script I knew I was going to do it. Thankfully, the script was hilarious and I didn't have to worry about having to say no. Thus began my work as a first-time director.

Now, I say first-time director, but that's really partially true. I directed a cut-down version of "Greater Tuna" my junior year of high school for a night of one-acts, and I have also done two directing scenes for class. So, I have had experience directing, but this is my first big girl show. I had to direct a one-act, with props, costumes, and a set, all by myself. It was a little daunting to think about at first, but I felt confidant that I had had enough training to accomplish what I wanted to. I wish I would have written blogs during the process, because I find it very interesting. I'm still working on finding my voice as a director, and trying to differentiate my actor mentality from my director mentality. I don't think it's bad to be aware of both, but since I'm still new to the whole directing thing, I would rather have that side in the majority for most of the time.

It's funny when you are trained as an actor but are thrown into the director's chair. You notice a whole new side to acting and actors in general. It's a very scary process because you put your two cents in and drive how the show looks, but most of the work has to come from the actors. You have to have a lot of trust in who you cast. Casting is also a new process I'm trying to get used to. Thankfully, with the directing experience I've had, I haven't had a problem finding the perfect people for what I'm working on. Being on the other side of casting also gives me perspective about the whole audition process. There were some actors who had great monologues or who were funny as hell when they were reading for a certain part, but I couldn't cast them because they didn't have the look what I was going for. It gives me a little silver lining thinking that (hopefully) that's happened in my situation when I don't get cast in a show.

Directing was a fun experience, but also stressful as hell. I remember I had to give my actors a week off because of Curtains technicals, and our first rehearsals back was a downer. They weren't offbook completely, they kept forgetting blocking, and they would break character during the run. Not only that, it was the night before we were starting technicals in the space. I remember sitting there and thinking "Oh dear Lord, there's nothing that I can do!" I had to give them a speech to pep them up and hopefully inspire them to get their shit together. Thankfully, it all came together.

There is no explaining the feeling you get when you watch your show go up in front of an audience, and the audience loves it. The best way to describe it is if the show was your baby walking for the first time. I was so proud of my actors, and the show as a whole. I was also proud of myself for being able to accomplish what I had hoped for, and then some. I know directing will be in my future (probably sooner than I would like), but I know I will enjoy it as well. I will always be an actor at heart, but directing has it's fun qualities too.

No comments:

Post a Comment