Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 84

I'm taking a break from the updates and writing about the opening night of the show I'm currently working on.

The BFG!

This is my first children show to be involved in. I've did shows for children actors, but never one that was tailored specifically for a children audience. I never realized how much work it entails. I don't play a huge role in the show, but I only have about a 2 minute break between two scenes at the beginning, and (minus intermission) I'm constantly onstage or running to change costumes. It's such a short show, so you don't get much rest time inbetween scenes before you have to end up back onstage. And the time you are onstage, you are at about 110% energy. I'm not saying that you don't have that energy during a regular show, but for a children show it's almost a different kind of energy. You have to be constantly moving around, interacting with the audience, and doing funny things with your voice to keep the kids entertained. I don't think I've ever been so tired after a show, and it's only an hour and 15 minutes! Geez

But, I've loved working on this show so much. I've written before how I love going over the top with acting, the bigger the characters the better. I actually got a note for my maid character to go bigger, which is awesome! It's very close to a caricature, but not quite. I don't count it as that because it's the world of a children's show, so everyone has big movements and acting. I feel like it's almost vaudeville because each character has their own shtick.

We've got one show down, like 123232 more to go. Not really, but the first audience really seemed to enjoy it, so hopefully the rest will go as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment