Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 81

You may have realized, this is not Day 81. It's probably more likely day 100 and something. I feel terrible that this kind of died. After I came back from NYC, life got superdeduper hectic. This is one of the things that I had to stop for a while in order to have enough time for everything. I'm sorry that I had to abandon it.

BUT, I am back. It is summer, and while I am busy still, I have a lot more free time to catch up. And funny enough, I've had random people come up to me and ask me about this. Random people. But it's awesome. If they can find things I say funny or relatable, that's pretty cool. So, I'll go back in my life to what happened between NYC and now. I won't do all of it now, but just a small piece at a time.

First off: RROAPS!

After Spring Break, we had our performances for RROAPS. It was crazy because we jumped right into it after the break. I actually enjoyed having the break, not just because of NYC, but because coming back after not thinking about it gives you some clarity on your character. You are constantly in rehearsals, and after a while things feel sort of stale after repeating it over and over. Coming back gave me a new jolt that I needed.

I am so proud of the show that we put on. I can't tell you how many people came up to me and told me the show was their favorite in RROAPS. I knew having the best director, best play/playwright, and best cast would pay off. The audience loved it every night. My favorite audience reaction was when there was a little girl in the audience. I didn't realize this until the end of the first scene when I'm in my bra and stabbing Baxter to death. There's a blackout and you hear "HAHAHA, that was funny!" I about died going backstage to change. It's moments like that make me love comedy. I have also gotten to the point where I can recognize certain people's laughs. I know I have one of those laughs because I laugh at everything. But recognizing the laugh during the show just fuels me.

My acting class talked about all the shows for a bit, and when they got on ours they had nothing but good things to say. What some of the students said, and even what the playwright told me, was that I was so comfortable in my skin. Which is weird, because I'm the total opposite in real life. But for some reason when I'm onstage I just lose all my inhibitions. I know I don't look like a model, but if I have a role like that, by God i will believe that I am 6'2'' and gorgeous. Maybe it's the sense that I'm not myself and I can be whatever I am not. Onstage I can be beautiful, successful, and happy without a second thought. it's one of the reason that I love the stage.

And it's funny when we were taking pictures for the show, I just took my shirt off and was just walking around. People were surprised that I was so comfortable taking my clothes off. I did worse in Phallus Pan, and I won't get into the whole nudity onstage thing now, but I'm all for it, lol.

This year's experience with RROAPS totally trumps last year's (and it makes up for it). It's totally a crap shoot when working with one-acts. This year it just seemed to work out. Hopefully next year will be as successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment